Monday, July 12, 2010

Adoption PaperWORK!!!

If you've ever applied for a job with the secret service or CIA, then you may have completed a small fraction of the paperwork that adoptive parents must complete. This may be a bit of an exaggeration, but it is a lot to do. Today is my birthday, and I went for my psychological examination required as part of the process. In all the semesters that I majored in psychology, I never bothered to take a class in assessment, so I really had no idea what to expect. I guess I did expect to be asked about my childhood, and I was. I did expect to me asked about past trauma in my life that affected me, as well as about my relationship with Bryon and parenting skills, so none of that was shocking. What I didn't expect was the 567 question personality assessment on the computer or the 165 question paper test! I have to admit that many of the questions had me quite entertained and I had to fight the urge to laugh out loud. Let's just hope they find me fit to be a parent since I already have two children.
In addition to the psychological testing, I also must have a medical exam clearing me of any communicable diseases and a criminal background clearance done. While all of this sounds like a pain in the rear, I can't help but think what the world would be like if everyone had to go through this process in order to have any child, including biological children. Not only go through this, but pass with flying colors in order to have a child. Would there still be so many abandoned and unwanted children in the world? Would there still be a need for so many foster homes and orphanages? Probably not! When I rationalize this tedious process, I do understand why it has to be done. I guess I should be thankful since this helps to ensure that these children end up with loving families. I also think about the other side of this mountain we are climbing and I can't wait to bring Paulius home! It is all so worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment