Thursday, July 22, 2010

More News...

I received an e-mail yesterday with more information about Paulius, specifically about his PKU. He is "classical" PKU like Abigail and his levels are checked every two weeks! This is great!! They also sent us the results of his last three levels which range from 6 being his last level, but the previous two were at 12.5 and 14 (high!). I was told that he eats his meals with all of the other children and that the caregivers do their best to monitor him, but he does successfully manage t sneak some foods off of other plates. Like any other PKU child, he is curious about what other foods taste like. I bet he has never had low protein breads or pastas made just for him! I can't wait to see what he thinks of pizza or grilled cheese sandwiches and macaroni and cheese. My guess is that he only eats fruits, vegetables and regular breads, pastas or maybe rice. Paulius was diagnosed a month after birth and has been on the low protein diet since then. I am so glad to hear that his levels are checked so often and that the caregivers are doing their best to meet his dietary needs. I honestly expected his levels to be in the 20 range, so it is a relief to know that it's not been quite that high.

I also paid the $550 application fee yesterday so that our file is in the works. I sent Bryon to work with a stack of papers to sign this morning so that we can go ahead and have them put on file. This morning I registered for our Hague Convention Adoption training and completed the introduction and first module. We both have to complete it separately and have 8 weeks to get it done. I think I will have it done in about a week! I also ordered some books about adoption that were recommended by our caseworker. I hope to have plenty of reading time once I get some more of this paperwork out of the way. I feel pretty confident that I will get my part done fairly quick, but Bryon's new job keeps him busy and wiped out during the week and our weekends have been packed! He was able to get an appointment for his psych evaluation on Tuesday night after work. He will be lucky to be home by 9:00 p.m. that night, but it will be done and we can check that off of his "to-do" list.

My house is smelling divine right now. I am baking my first loaf of regular bread in the bread machine. I have only made low protein bread for Abigail in the machine, but I am trying to make regular bread for the bake sale fundraiser we are having this Saturday. I am also making beer bread and trying my hand at honey wheat and amish style sweet bread too. I have been wanting to try making regular breads, so I am excited to be trying these new breads. I will be baking and baking for the next to days to prepare. I have also gotten in touch with my creative side to try to raise some money. I am painting letter wall hangings for baby nurseries and kids rooms, making hair bow holders, diaper cakes, baby shower gift sets and hair bows. I am going to try to open an etsy online store or maybe sell them on ebay or something. We'll see how it goes. If anything, I am having fun making the items! Wish us luck on our first fundraiser! Come see me and get some yummy homemade baked goods :)

No comments:

Post a Comment